Book Club Pick: December 2020
Title: My true love gave to me: Twelve winter romances
Authors: Holly Black, Ally Carter, Matt de la Peña, Gayle Forman, Jenny Han, David Levithan, Kelly Link, Myra McEntire, Rainbow Rowell, Stephanie Perkins (also Editor), Laini Taylor, and Kiersten White.
Series: Stand alone collection of short stories. Although followed by Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories (Edited by Stephanie Perkins, 2016)
Country: United States of America
Publisher: St Martin’s Griffin | Macmillan
First Published: 2014
Long, cold nights are for falling in love…
There’s nothing more romantic than mistletoe kisses, twinkling lights and wrapping up warm in the snow. Whether you celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah, winter solstice or Kwanzaa, this collection of twelve gorgeous short stories will make you swoon with all the magic of the holidays. So curl up by the fireplace and get cosy. You have twelve reasons to stay indoors and fall in love.
Each of the twelve short stories is a romance that takes place over the winter holiday season covering holidays, such as Hanukkah, Christmas, Winter Solstice, and the New Year.
Unlike Let it Snow (Maureen Johnson, John Green, & Lauren Myracle) each story stands alone and is not connected. The advantage of this is that readers can dip in and out of what stories interest them / start with their favourite authors.
Majority of the stories are contemporary but there are a few that are fantasy / magical realism.
The collection is diverse with characters from various racial, socioeconomic, sexual orientation, and religious backgrounds. For example a gay Jewish boy who dresses up as Santa for his boyfriend’s little sister, and young Latino man apartment-sitting in Brooklyn, New York.
The twelve short stories are:
- ‘Midnights’ by Rainbow Rowell
- ‘The Lady and the Fox’ by Kelly Link
- ‘Angels in the Snow’ by Matt de la Peña
- ‘Polaris Is Where You’ll Find Me’ by Jenny Han
- ‘It’s a Yuletide Miracle, Charlie Brown’ by Stephanie Perkins
- ‘Your Temporary Santa’ by David Levithan
- ‘Krampuslauf’ by Holly Black
- ‘What the Hell Have You Done, Sophie Roth?’ by Gayle Forman
- ‘Beer Buckets and Baby Jesus’ by Myra McEntire
- ‘Welcome to Christmas, CA’ by Kiersten White
- ‘Star of Bethlehem’ by Ally Carter
- ‘The Girl Who Woke the Dreamer’ by Laini Taylor
If you are interested in another Christmas romance check out my December 2019 book pick Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares, which was released as a Netflix series last month.
Other Christmas themed reviews book reviews – Born Scared by Kevin Brooks, What Light by Jay Asher and Let it Snow by Maureen Johnson, John Green & Lauren Myracle